Shortly after my nineth birthday, my eleven-year-old brother,
always looking for a way to make more money, came up with a scheme to double
his paper route income. He had a route
but discovered that a slightly larger route was available. The paper dealer did not let boys have two
routes. Jim had a plan, but he needed my
help. All I had to do—Jim said—was sign
up for the second route, but he planned to cover both.
I don’t
remember how long I considered it; I do remember that I did not want to lie
about it. I told him that if I signed
for a route, I would take it. So, Jim
took the new, larger route, and I took his old route. We lived in the small town of Alliance, Ohio,
where our father taught at Mount Union College.
The paper was the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Not many people in Alliance subscribed as it
had no local news; consequently, my route, spread over about five miles, had
only 36 daily and 45 Sunday customers.
The papers, tied with twine in a bundle, were dropped at the curb in
front of our house at about a quarter to six each morning. I brought my bundle into the house, cut the
cord, and folded each to make delivery easier: some I left open (folded in half
as they came), some I folded in thirds for delivery to stores or restaurants,
and the rest I folded into a square so without stopping I could throw them onto
porches. Then I packed them into my bag
and loaded them onto my bike and started riding.
When
I finished, I returned home to eat Pep cereal flakes so my brother could
collect the pinback prize
or the oatmeal mush that my father left in the double
boiler heating on the stove.
I liked
the ride in the morning before most people were up, unless it was raining or
snowing, then not so nice. I enjoyed
throwing the paper onto porches while speeding along on my bike. I even got to the point where I enjoyed
getting out of bed in the dark; all these years later, I still wake each
morning at about six.
The
fiction was that paper boys were independent contractors. We contracted for a specific number of papers
each day and paid for them at the end of each week. They cost the customer five cents each for
the daily and 15 cents Sunday. I received half a cent for each daily and
slightly more for the Sundays. My profit
each week came to about $2.43, if I could collect from all my customers.
Every
Friday evening, I rode my bike to each customer’s home to collect fifteen, thirty,
or forty-five cents. The year was
1949. Customers were a varied lot,
living in older houses in established neighborhoods. Houses with television were closed up, shades
pulled, dark except for the glow of the machine. I had a customer who showed me the invention
he hoped would improve his life: a light assembly that looked like a small
trough that hung below the tv screen to limit glare. He told me that if it didn’t work out as a tv
accessory, he would market it as a flower pot.
Another
customer was building his house. He and
his wife lived in the finished basement with a stairway leading out; when he
got more money, he was going to construct the first floor.
Collecting was an
education. Customers could usually find
the necessary change but often did not. When
a woman answered my knock and my “Collecting for the paper, please,” she might
scrounge through a purse or purses, look behind sofa cushions, search pants
pockets, before saying, “Could you come back tomorrow?” Men were more likely to say immediately,
“Haven’t got it, come back tomorrow,” or “Come back next week.”
So, Saturday mornings I
repeated the process, hoping to catch those customers I missed or who had told
me they didn’t have the money. Saturday
afternoon, I had to pay for the week’s papers.
If I had not collected enough, the dealer would let me carry the
shortage to the next week, but it meant that I made nothing that week. A few times, a customer told me to come back
next week and when I returned, I found they had moved so I lost the entire cost
and my profit. I was only nine but I was
seldom without a little change in my pocket; I could not understand how adults
would not have thirty or forty-five cents.
One of my customers was a radio announcer at a local
station. Once, when he opened his door
and saw me, he slurred, “Don’t have it, kid, come back next week.” I had never before seen a man drunk, but I
could tell something was wrong. I
continued collecting from other customers, and perhaps 30 minutes or so later,
was at a gas station on my route, inside, lusting for a nickel candy in the
candy machine, when the announcer drove up.
I distinctly heard him tell the attendant: “Fifty cents worth of regular.” I had suspected that customers lied to me,
but the baldness of his lie shocked me. He could have told me he had only fifty cents
and he needed it for gas to get to work; he could have said he was sorry; I
might have understood, but he clearly lied. I had absolute proof about my suspicions of so
many of the people I dealt with.
Seventy-five years later,
that memory is as sharp as if it happened yesterday.
While trying to collect
pennies from customers back then undoubtedly still shapes my attitude toward
people, I enjoyed riding my bicycle in the mornings and have continued riding
ever since. I enjoyed having a little
money I earned myself. But more
significant were the coins I received.
At that time, every coin minted by the U.S. government was still in
circulation. From time to time, my
brother and I received Indian head cents, flying eagle cents, large cents, and
occasionally silver half-dimes, about the size of dimes, which we mistakenly
thought were dimes.
When we found a coin that looked strange to us, we asked our father about it. At first he knew as little as we did, but he knew how to research, and he found out and told us. We kept the odd coins, and in time he bought folders to hold them and books that told about them.
He started cashing his
paycheck at the bank and bringing home bags of coins which he spread across the
kitchen table; we examined each coin to find rare ones. Although I was interested, Jim and Dad were
more captivated. They joined coin clubs
and attended coin shows, becoming more and more knowledgeable about American
coinage. In time, Jim and I left home,
but Dad retained his interest. Then he
fell on hard times, could not find college teaching, tried teaching high school
but his deafness made him a target for some students, and he found that he
could no longer teach and was not suited for many other jobs.




No comments:
Post a Comment